Warning: This post contains slight toy carnage. If you have any plastic animals in your midst, you may want to tell them to look away.
This was hands down THE coolest Pinterest project I’ve ever made.
Even more than the dinosaur toothbrush holder.
The weather was extremely chilly this past weekend, almost unheard of in South Texas–45 degrees for a high? With wind chills in the 20’s? What is this wizardry?! So I cooped up in my apartment and decided to study/make crafts. When I came across this “Plastic Animal Craft Ideas” link on Pinterest, I immediately knew what I wanted to create.
A Safari-Themed Necklace Rack!
What You’ll Need:
- Fancy sanded wood board (I found mine at Hobby Lobby for $6)
- Gorilla glue
- Acrylic paints
- Knife or mini-saw
- Plastic animals
- Hardware for hanging (found mine at Hobby Lobby for $1.99)
- Optional: glitter, glossy paint, stickers, other decorations
1. Paint your wood board whatever color your heart desires. I went for black with a lime green polka dot trim 🙂
2. Attach the wall hanging hardware to the back of your woodpiece once it’s dry.
2. Carefully cut your chosen animals in half with a knife or mini saw. I used a very sharp kitchen knife and, although it was an arm workout, it wasn’t too hard.
3. Paint and/or decorate your animals. It took me 3-4 coats of paint for most of them, so if you want to speed up the drying process, you could use the cool setting on a hair dryer.
4. Once dry, superglue your animal halves onto your wood. Make sure they’re super dry before proceeding. I let mine dry overnight to be safe.
5. Hang on the wall and enjoy!
Isn’t it awesome?!?! You can hang necklaces, lanyards, keys, you name it. All while enjoying a little smile from animals 🙂
What’s so great about this craft is that the possibilities are ENDLESS. Paint colors, wood shape, animal types, glitter–so many options! Also, I went with the front halves of the animals, but you could use the butts! I have other animals and saved my animal butts to make something else one day mwahaha
What’s your favorite zoo animal? Mine is hands down an okapi!! I love them SO MUCH!