I’ve decided that whoever invented crockpots was a genius.
Plop some ingredients in a dish and 6 hours later BOOM. Delicious gourmet feast.
Genius for all of the self-proclaimed, lazy kitchen chefs (*cough cough* me).
Story time: Prior to this recipe, I’d never delved into the world of crock-potting (?). It always intimidated me, I guess. WELL. This weekend, I noticed that we had some extra chicken thighs in the fridge. Instead of resorting to the usual bake or fry avenue, my mom suggested trying out something new. So, to Pinterest I went! What slapped me in the face? TONS of suggestions to use chicken thighs in a crockpot for a richer, more tender flavor. So, I put my fears aside, dusted off the ol’ crock residing in the deep, dark caverns of our pantry, and got to work!
Behold! This is the creation I came up with based on the ingredients we had on hand as well as food preferences, so feel free to try alternative veggies etc. We’re a voracious family, so the whole batch was gone in one and a half days mwahaha
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs and Vegetables
(gluten free, paleo)
- 6 quart crockpot
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- ~1 tbsp. ghee or oil
- 2 russet/baking potatoes, skinless
- 2 cups whole baby carrots
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 tsp. Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (with skin)
1. Grease a 6 qt. crockpot with ghee and set temperature on LOW. You could sub nonstick cooking spray instead.
2. Place onion chunks in ghee. Cut skinned potatoes into bite-sized chunks and place on top of onions. Top potatoes and onions with baby carrots.
3. Combine water, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a glass and pour over veggies.
4. Arrange chicken thighs evenly on top of vegetables and sprinkle with Trader Joe’s seasoning.
5. Cover mixture and make sure crockpot is set to LOW. Cook for ~6 hours or until chicken and vegetables are tender.